Sunday, December 30, 2007

#15 On Library 2.0 and Web 2.0

I read all 5 perspectives on Library 2.0.

This is such a paradigm shift. Not having a library background is a bit limiting because it means I don't automatically think in the information organisation, directories, databases, indexes layer. I describe my own thinking as "paper and pencil", linear, pedestrian, controlled.
Now, with Library 2.0, I glimpse a world best described by dynamic, multi layered, 3-dimensional, networked.
It provides the means to organise, communicate, express yourself, converse, create content, be original, learn and share with remixes and mash-ups. I'm gaining insights into the potential of interfaces such as Face Book through which my daughters network with people across the globe. I'm even contemplating investing the time to really come to grips with this and develop my own Face Book as an exercise in familiarising myself further.

Library 2.0 aims to be user-centric with traits such as collaborative, welcoming, user friendly, constant change, user participation, taking advantage of Web 2.0 technologies, and continuous improvement.

The State Library of Victoria's vision is "Victorians will have ready access to a comprehensive collection of Victorian documentary material and to worldwide information resources to enrich their cultural, educational, social and economic lives." I thought Michael Stephens described best how Library 2.0 will be incorporated in this. He describes how Library 2.0 can make the library a "socially and emotionally engaging centre for learning an experience." It can be a "strategy guide" for helping users find information, gather knowledge, and create content.

No comments: